You no longer have to be registered as being exempt if:
- You only store waste at the place where it is produced,
- You don't bring waste from lots of different sites back to one site,
- You store waste for less than 12 months
You must store the waste in a secure place (ie ensure that waste cannot be windblown, etc.)
You may also carry out "ancillary treatment" including:
- Compaction of paper and cardboard stored within a container,
- Shredding confidential papers for crushing,
- Compacting large items, or
- Separating recyclables.
More information on this is available from the Environment Agency via this link.